Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Kale aint so Bad

I've never been to fond of kale, not that I ever ate much of it.  I'm not sure where my aversion came from.  But guess what? If you cook it with enough bacon, it can be very tasty.

My team at work was having a breakfast party for a coworks who surrvied 25 year of job, job title, telephone number changes.  Go coworker!

In her honor I made mini kale and bacon quiches.  Boy was it easy!  The important thing to remember is the ratio of milk and eggs, 2 eggs to a cup of milk.  I have found many recipies try to make cooking to hard.  Most quiche recipies call for cream and whole milk, I had neither.  I finally found a blog that explained how quiches work and advised the type milk product doesn't matter and guess what, they were right.  Since I can't drink milk anymore I don't keep it in the house, so I used what I had, powdered nonfat milk and it worked fine.  There is no real recipe, just remember 2 to 1 and bake at 350 degrees.

Remove the stems from the kale

Start sauteing some chopped bacon

Add the kale to the bacon and cook down
Until it looks like this, wrap it in a dish towel and squeeze the daylights out of it.  I forgot to do this and the quiche was a little wet.

Put some cheese (mine was frozen) in the bottom of a mini muffin tin.

Add some of the kale and bacon mixture

Mix 2 eggs with 1 cup of milk and whisk until frothy. I added salt and pepper, the salt was unnecessary.  I also mixed the egg mixture, one batch at a time, since I had no idea how much I needed.  I think used a batch a half.

Pour the egg mixture over the kale and cheese

Bake it at 350 degrees for about 15 mins

Yummmmmmm!
The reviews from my coworkers were pretty good and I don't think they were just being nice. In total it took about 30 to 45 mins, start to finish. It was really quick.  I think there are more quiches in my future.  I have also read they freeze well.

No comments:

Post a Comment