Saturday, May 4, 2013

This ain't no instant pudding.

Well it is, but at least it doesn't come from a box.

Rhubarb season is upon us and mine is trying to take over my porch steps. 



One evening, as it was growing, I had one of those weird compulsions and I had, I mean had, to cook something with my rhubarb. I didn't feel like taking the time to make jam, I didn't have all the ingredients to make BBQ sauce and I didn't feel like cake so what did that leave? Pudding, yes pudding and it was good.  More importantly it was quick and easy.  I found the recipe on the internet and made a few changes.  Since the pudding was a little loose (my Mom said it was fine), next time I would add a little more corn starch or maybe tapioca.  Hmmmmm, tapioca is a great idea.

Rhubarb Pudding

1 3/4 cups water
3/4 + cups sugar
1.5 lbs rhubarb cut into small pieces
3Tlbs corn starch mixed with 1/4 c. water to create slurry
1/2 tps vanilla

Heat water and sugar together in a pot until boiling and the sugar disolves.  Then add rhubarb and cook while stirring until rhubarb is soft (about 10 minutes).  Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth and return to pot and taste, adding more sugar if needed.  The add the corn starch slurry and return to a boil stirring constantly for about a minute.  Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.  Transfer to serving dishes and refrigerate. Serve cold with whipped cream and enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment